Dementia is a mental illness that is caused by damage to or changes in the brain. Individuals with dementia might have problems with remembering things, thinking clearly, or making rational decisions. This mental illness can interfere with doing daily activities and communicating with other people.
If you have a senior loved one with dementia, such as Alzheimer’s disease, you might have difficulties communicating with them. There will be times that you might become unfamiliar to them, and they might not recognize you. That is why you have to understand their situation and be patient at all times.
To help you communicate properly and have a healthy relationship with your senior loved one with dementia, here are some useful tips on how to effectively communicate with a person with dementia:
- Set an encouraging mood for interaction.
- Get your loved one’s full attention.
- Whenever you want to say something important, say it slowly and clearly.
- If you have to ask questions, ask simple questions, like questions that can be answered by yes or no.
- Listen to what they have to say with your ears, eyes, and heart.
If you are the primary caregiver of your senior loved one with dementia, do not be afraid to ask for help from people who provide professional personal care in Georgia.
Magnolia Home Care Service is a reliable and high-quality provider of home care services in Savannah Georgia. Our goal is to help senior loved ones achieve a higher quality of life by assisting with daily living and more.