Taking care of patients with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia is challenging, most especially during meals. Maintaining a familiar meal routine and serving their favorite foods are the priority. These can help them feel more relaxed, thus leading to a smooth mealtime.
As skilled nursing providers, we ensure that our caregivers are equipped with the knowledge and training in handling patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Here are some practices our caregivers do which you can also apply to encourage an uneventful mealtime:
- Make sure to set the ambiance of the eating area quiet. Turning off the gadgets and TV can be good to avoid unnecessary distractions.
- Instead of filling their plate with a variety of food choices, offer one food option at a time.
- Be patient with them and give them enough time to finish their meal. Never rush them.
- Mealtime is a good opportunity for interaction. Setting the mood in a warm environment positively affects them.
- Make sure to cut their food into small pieces. Foods must also be soft enough for them to chew and eat.
Magnolia Home Care Service is a provider of personal care in Georgia. We offer personalized care services. We make sure that our services are designed to offer comfort and convenience to our clients.
You can also explore our website for more information and details about us!